Saturday 29 September 2012

Why so difficult??

So I read that part of regular motorcycle maintenance is taking care of the drive chain. Although it is possible to clean the chain without removing it. I wanted to do a proper cleaning by soaking the chain in kerosene before re-lubricating. Unfortunately, these bikes are suppose to have a continuous chain (no master link) and require the entire rear swing arm to be removed first. I'm not going to pretend to be mechanically inclined, I tried anyway. 



I laid out a sheet of plastic and placed all the screws with the parts as I removed them, and placed them relative to where they were removed from. At this point I was very concerned I'd never be able to put it back together again.

Thankfully I didn't remove the clutch slave cylinder when removing the cover, but was sorely disappointed at the environment of the drive gear.
The first image is after I had spent time scooping out solidified grease and grit with my finger. I think this drive sprocket is stock and will need to be replaced in the future as well. For the moment it only can be cleaned. 

Since I'm more interested in economy than accel, I hoped to do something like a -1/+2 sprocket replacement anyway. From what I understand 16 teeth in the front and 45 in the back is stock. This bikes' current configuration is 16 and 43, but I think I can squeeze a bit more mechanical advantage without bogging it down. 

Although it took a good part of the afternoon I did get everything back together, and been riding since without it falling apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment