Saturday 29 September 2012

Problems Part II



2. Thermostat
I had my bike safetied at Cycle Werx in Toronto. They warned me that my thermostat was "all over the place" but there was no overheating issues. No problems? then I didn't care. At least until I noticed a green residue starting to coat my cylinder head. I ignored it for the longest time, assuming it was just some kind of oxidation. At least until I noticed the puddle I was leaving on the ground wherever I went. Sure enough it was leaking coolant, and best I can tell from the thermostat housing. Of course if there isn't a proper seal the leaking fluid changes the pressure in there, and ultimately the temperature measured. 
By the time I check the reserve coolant tank it is completely empty, and there is barely any coolant in the rad. A quick replacement outside a Walmart will have to be sufficient until I can replace the o-ring which should be sealing in the thermo.

No comments:

Post a Comment