Saturday 29 September 2012

Intro

So I couldn't put it off any more. Not that I was trying to delay, but couldn't convince others to take the plunge with me. Got my M1 license, completed my safety course, and set out to buy my first motorcycle. Nearly settled on a Suzuki GS500, a very common and easy bike to ride. BUT. After the owner let me take his Yamaha Fazer out for a ride I couldn't deny the appeal. My experience had only been on 250cc bikes with RTI and riding a 700cc was far above my skill level. A few months later, I can safely say I am comfortable with my machine.
I was advised by my father NOT to get this bike because of it's age (1987) and mileage (~60 000km). Now I understand how easily old bikes require constant attention, and how difficult it is to find the most frequently changed parts on a rare bike like this.

Through this blog I hope to track the maintenance, performance, and improvement of this motorcycle under my ownership. Given the little technical information available, it is my intention to identify compatible replacement parts. Saving time for others who don't want to order things as simple as OEM screws when they've lost or broken all the stock pieces. THIS is my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment